Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Hunting We Will Go

SPOILER ALERT:  Don't read unless you have read up to the first three pages of Chapter 28 in A Discovery of Witches.

So Diana insisted on going hunting with Matthew and watching him feed.  One word:  GROSS!!!  No wait, two:  DUMB!!!  WHY on god's green earth does girlfriend feel the need to watch her vampire boyfriend - I mean "husband" (but we'll get back to that) - take down a deer and suck the blood out of it?? Does this make their relationship stronger?? I don't think so.  She wants him to trust her - so have him tell you about his past.  Get it out of him (preferably by not proclaiming you know everything about his wife/son dying and that OM told you.  Abrasive, party of you?)  But watching him feed?  I get the whole "trust" thing - but there are some things in a relationship that can be left to the imagination.  If he were human, would you insist on watching him sit on the throne, too? (And I don't mean the monarch-sort.)

If it were me, I'd be like "Oh Matthew dear...I'm just going to sit here in your huge bed and let Marthe bring me baked goods and flavored decaf (not a tea drinker) whilst you run around the forest doing...whatever it is that you do.  Maybe I'll even do some clothes shopping with OM (which I am truly hoping happens at some point.  How delicious would that be??)  Catch ya later!!  Let's meet back up for some good lovin' and a back rub around 4.  Ok....break!"

Now back to the "husband/wife" part.  I'm only 3 pages in to the chapter so I don't know much - but Matthew finally revealed to Diana that - in the vampire world - they are married.  Yippee!  Works for me!  He's gorgeous - splendidly rich - worships me - and will never NOT be hot because he's a vampire.  My god - it doesn't get any better than that!  And if he decides to run off with a younger witch down the road...girlfriend can take HALF!  ;)

10 comments:

  1. Oh my word!! That picture is hilarious!! You are too funny!! Yeah, I'm not much of a hunter.....also, it didn't feel right to me that Matthew "gave in" so quickly to Diana's request to come with. He's a wee bit more anal than that. Could she not understand his fear? that he would kill her?

    I guess I've read too much J.R. Ward (no risk of VBB (vampire blue balls with that series, BTW.), because as soon as OM said Matthew had "marked her" I knew she was done for.

    I JUST finished the book...........and I CANNOT believe the next one is not out until 2012!!! I haven't felt this ripped off since I found out "The EXILE" wasn't "Book 8". Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But really............where in the world did you get that picture??? It cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these hunting scenes are for our benefit so that we don't romanticize vampirism too much. They are predators by instinct and we and Diana would do well to remember that. M didn't survive for 1500 years by being a pushover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture! Made me laugh out loud!!

    BTW, regarding the uh.... blue balls... Can we assume that Matthew "means to take his time about it"?? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am only just finished Chapter 28 - so no spoilers from me. Do any of you find this book very uneven? Some parts are great and fun to read, some parts are pretty slow and boring - I honestly don't know if I like this book or not...although I'm definitely reading to the end to see what happens. (And I even have a hunch I'll want to read the next one too...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia, I'm with you. Lorrrddd the Library, I thought she'd never get out of there. The witchwater scene, meh. Hold tight, there's more action to come. I want to read the next one, but waiting til next year is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, call me crazy.........you won't be the first......but I thought the libray scenes were an avenue to a cute courtship. I looked forward to Diana spotting Matthew every morning. I guess the author had to find some way for a witch and a vampire to meet (and not kill eachother). I liked it. I thought Deborah was very successful at creating romantic suspense.........beginning at the library, Matthew coming over for supper (with roses AND wine), and that first kiss was sooooooo cute! Sometimes the whole "history lesson" can be a bit of a drag. (remember Jasper's "story"? Man, I needed some big old toothpicks to keep my eyes open. Yaaaaaawn. ) We do need to learn about their past, but man sometimes it's hard to get through. And really, if the author were to skip all that added info, all you'd have would be your generic run-of-the-mill bodice ripper. (not that I have anything against bodice-rippers, I happen to own my fair share!) Just my two cents.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that all the literary references and history and science elevate it above the level of generic bodice ripper (and I bet I own more than you;)) I just wished that there had been more conversation and less note-taking and research going on at the library.
    And I've already forgotten who Jasper is. Must have dozed through that part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking back, I didn't mind the library. I actually did think it was pretty neat (look at my graphic up top!) But while I was in it, I felt stuck there and feared the entire book was going to be centered there. Once we were away for a safe while, I was able to say "Wow the library was pretty cool." You better believed I've been googling the Bodleian quite a bit since starting this book! I totally want to go! (Actually I want to do my childhood over and do a semester in London...but I digress. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually enjoyed the hunting part of it and liked the way that Deborah described the two "different" hunts. Not just the take the animal down and eat hunt.
    That being said, what was up with Diana HELPING Edward, um I mean Matthew hunt? He has only been around for 1500 years so ya I think he needs your help Diana!
    And what's up with the OM? She is all mean and nasty and then sings a sweet song to save Diana, then back to mean and then once Matthew officially declares his love for her totally supportive and ready to die for her? WTF? My OM has only been mean, then some more mean and finally a little mean thrown in there!LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete